Saturday, January 8, 2011

With ringing ears and smokey hair....

So, we are here, in Buenos Aires. It is, well, enormous.There are 13 million people living in this city, so it is a far cry from a small Latin American town. There are sooo many cars, and lots and lots of pedestrians. Drivers and pedestrians seem to have this understanding where people (cars and pedestrians alike) don't always listen to the trafic signals, but no one seems to get too upset. Cars just keep driving, people just keep crossing when they are not supposed to, and we are all on our merry way!
When we got off the plane it was extremely overwhelming, I had kinda forgotten what Latin America is like. I was in awe, like I was in this crazy world, made just to make me happy. Everything is in Spanish! The signs! The people - they speak it constantly (of course they do!), the music! That awe and appreciation does not generally last too long. Usually until the bus driver can't quite communicate where we need to get off, and we can't really understand what the bank machine is trying to tell us. Regardless, it is lovely here. We wandered around, getting our bearings all morning, getting lots of sun, and taking it all in. Always one of my favourite things to do!

Last night, we decided, at the insistence of our Brazilian roommate, Fabio, to participate in the hostels' 'Crazy Train' party, which was a random combination of a'pizza/sushi' party (I don't think we have those in Canada...), a 'crazy train', which is somewhat comparable to the 'party bus' (though I can't be certain, I've never been ), except it is open air and involves lots of Latin music, and then a bar. When I say we attended at Fabio's 'insistence', I mean, he took the schedule, pointed to that event, gave us the thumbs up, and then made drinking signs with his hands. Yes, we have two Brazilian roommates, and neither one of them speaks a lick of English. At least Fabio is always friendly and trying to communicate, via hand signs and enormous smiles. His friend, whose actual name is Leonardo, but I like to refer to him as Silent Bob, doesn't speak to us at all. We have a sneaking suspicion he can speak at least a little bit of English, but he is perhaps too shy.
There are sooo many Brazilians here right now, partly because of its close proximity, and also because it is their summer holidays right now. We met someone last night who told us he came here because it was too hot in Brazil right now. We almost burst out laughing, it was a high of 33 yesterday in Buenos Aires.

The crazy train party was maybe not really our scene, but the bar was in the most beautiful part of Buenos Aires, which definitely warrants further exploration, and we were able to dance (for hours and hours) with people from all over, in this beautiful city. My ears are ringing, and my hair still smells like smoke, but I don't think I could be happier. However, we didnt roll in until almost 4 am and then got up at 9 for breakfast, so I think a nap is in order for me.

Love love love,

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment