Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Exactly how many pairs of underwear does one pack for six months?

It's here, the time has come! My bedroom is littered with receipts and tags, I am a little sweaty (and weary when I look at my backpack and realize I am responsible for carrying it!) and tired of rolling and shoving clothes into impossibly small spaces which, unfortunately, does not make them weigh any less - who knew?!

In approximately 10 hours J and I will be en route to Buenos Aires, by way of Toronto and Santiago, Chile. It is hard to believe that this day has come at all; it feels a little like I have spent the past four years and three weeks dreaming about this - essentially since the day after G and I got home from Central America. I am so grateful for this opportunity, and feel nothing but exhilaration when I think about the possibilities. Well, exhilaration and a wee bit o' anxiety when I think too much about Spanish school, but overall so much excitement.

I am so extremely thankful for everyone who has helped this to become more than just daydreaming (in my office, in the car, at the gym...everywhere). I want to recognize how extremely lucky I am to have the most amazing, supportive parents, who allowed me, at 27 years old, to move myself (and all my worldly possessions!) back into their lovely home - again, and I sincerely hope that this is the last time (though, I haven't been to Asia yet...?). Having somewhere to always call home is something I so often take for granted, and hope that they know how truly grateful I am for all they have done for me. This is me recognizing that, though I think I am so extremely lovely, not everyone does all the time (particularly those in the fam who are not morning people).  Not only have they allowed me back into their home, they were supportive of this idea right from the beginning, even when it could have meant having to quit my permanent grown up job, leaving me penniless and, yet again, living in their house. Again, so so very lucky.

I am also blessed to have people at work who were willing to go to bat for me, and as a result I am able to return to my position in July. This has made preparing for this experience (and I am sure while I am on my journey) 100% more enjoyable. Yay to people not taking no as an answer!

With that, I am off, doing all the important things I always leave to the last minute (like, say, making sure my credit card doesn't get canceled when I start charging things in Chile, but only after I get back from that one last yoga class! I have my priorities straight). I sincerely hope this finds you all happy, healthy and well rested from a beautiful holiday. Adios Canada, I shall return! There may be more of me (more to love?), regardless, I will be back.

But seriously, there will literally be more of me. Please, at least pretend to not be alarmed.

So much love,

Mel

1 comment:

  1. Hey Fancy! So happy to see you following your dream!! And glad you didn't have to give up your job to do it. Can't wait to read about what you get up to down south ;-)

    Rach

    ReplyDelete