Thursday, January 20, 2011

Just a regular Porteña....

I took the subte (subway) yesterday for the first time by myself. I, know, big deal. The problem is, I seem to have forgotten my sense of direction in Canada. After two weeks I am only now confident (generally) that I know where we are and what direction we need to go in. All the streets look the same! So, J has basically been designated (by unanimous vote) as our guide and map handler. But, I needed to go to my volunteer orientation, and J is not involved with that, so I was on my own.

Equipped with my (thus far unused...) map, the address, and very specific directions, off I go on the subte. I did it! I hardly got lost at all, and only once someone stopped to ask me if I needed help (in Spanish!) and that was when I was at the street I needed to turn up, but it had no sign. When he realized that I am not from here (I don't know what gave me away...my bewildered face or extremely broken Spanish). When he found out I speak English, he told me that my face did not look very 'American'. Whatever that means.

On the way back from my successful trip, I sat on the subway with all the other Porteños (people from Buenos Aires) and felt for the first time like I am part of the city, just going about my business. And I liked it.

That's right.

Just a regular porteña.

No comments:

Post a Comment