Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What is one to do with a large, weeping Brazilian man?

Get out of there, and fast, that's what.

As I previously mentioned, we had two Brazilian roommates, who we initally  believed did not speak English.We were correct, however, about Silent Bob, and his hidden proficiency in the English language. He is likely afflicted with the same illness I am. After a couple drinks on the hostel 'pub crawl', which involved two Irish bars (complete with bands and Irish music, and a very, very happy me, smiling a lot and dancing my face off), he was speaking to me in excellent English, while I spoke to him in alcohol-induced Spanish.

Silent Bob and Fabio have left, and on their last night they (and by 'they', I definitely mean Fabio), spent a lot of time trying to convince 'us' to come out with them (and by 'us', I actually mean J and her blonde hair, I was more a part of the package. Again, the blonde hair is a big hit...). We politely declined, several times, as we were starting Spanish school the next morning at 9 am, and Argentines we are not. We had an 'early night', and hung out  in the hostel in the common area, speaking with various (Brazilian) friends. We repeatedly declined offers to drink with our roomies and their large group of (Portugese speaking) friends.

I went up to our room around 1:30 to go to bed, J to shortly follow. I was getting my pyjamas and things  out of my locker, when I heard someone attempting to get in, and went to open the door, assuming it was J. I open the door to find a very tear stained Fabio, who, in case I haven't mentioned is much over 6 feet tall and very large. Also, he speaks zero English. It is obvious he is crying, and I don't say anything, mostly because I can't (but also because I am envisioning a very awkward, tear and sweat infused hug session that I am certain I cannot endure without bursting into laughter). I grab my things and go into the bathroom to get ready for bed, I realize I have forgotten my toothbrush and have to return momentarily to our room, and find Fabio in the corner, crying into a towel. I return to the bathroom, considering my options, which are quite limited, when I hear (thankfully) Portugese and realize that Silent Bob must have returned and is effectively saving me. I leave the bathroom, and act as if nothing is happening, and climb up onto my bed. Silent Bob asks for Fabio if J and I have facebook, and I provide him with our info. He then tells me that he is crying. I make an attempt at acting surprised and ask why. He tells me (through Silent Bob) that he is very sad to be leaving the hostel, as he has had a very good time here, and that this is very emotional for him.I am informed that they would like to wake us up in the morning to say good bye, I tell them that is fine, while simultaneously and wonder whether it is cruel of me to be thankful that they are leaving so we can steal their beds (bottom bunk = way cool,top bunk = way sweaty). The boys leave shortly, and J then returns, when I tell her the twilight zone I just experienced.

Even though I appreciate their beds, I am pretty sure we won't have better (or more entertaining) roommates...though, hopefully, our next roommates won't snore as loud as they did. As a result of our many many Brazilian acquaintances, we are reconsidering our initial decision not to go to Brazil, and I am looking into getting a Visa from Buenos Aires.

The adventures continue....

No comments:

Post a Comment