Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Love of theme parties? Confirmed.

J and I just spent last week in Mancora, Peru, on the north coast of the country. It was, in one word, amazing. We had so much fun, and it was the first time I really did not want to leave somewhere.

We stayed at 'Loki', which is a chain of hostels here in South America (with locations in Cusco, Lima, La Paz and Mancora), and they have  reputation for being party hostels. This was our first experience with Loki and we were completely pleased! We arrived to discover that our hostel was really more of a backpacker resort, what with its pool (and loungers), bar, restaurant, beach front location, and beautiful large building and rooms!

Our roomie there was a wonderfully hilarious Vancouverite with an affinity for Halifax (she went to Dal for one year), which earned her major points with us. She affectionately referred to us as 'Canada'.

We started our stay at Loki off slowly, taking it easy on our first night, going to bed early, while Vancouver entertained other guests on our balcony with a bottle of whisky (even at Loki this is definitely not allowed). She informed us (several times) that we were a disgrace to our province (sorry, Nova Scotia), and that she had high expectations for us the next night.

We brought our B game the next night, and mastered the art of adult sized Jenga (so much better than regular Jenga), made some new friends (particularly from Isreal), and somehow ended up at a local's party. I woke up the next morning feeling pretty tired, and wearing my watch in my hair as an elastic (it was a sport watch that was really more of an elastic bracelet with a watch face in it. At this point it was five days old).

Our third night at Loki we had gone to bed and were woken up by Vancouver who was informing us that she was bringing a friend home to have some whisky (she is a good host). She assured us that we did not have to worry, because she and the dude were just friends. He arrives at our room and they are on the balcony when we are able to hear Vancouver say loudly, 'if you try to kiss me, I swear, I'll punch you right in the face'. Not surprisingly, her friend left shortly following this.

Our last night at Loki happened to be Friday the 13th, and they were having a horror party, costumes strongly encouraged. I love theme/costume parties. I love them. The three of us spent the afternoon finding identical Mancora tank tops and red lip stick. We dressed up like 'haunted 222', which was our room number. Really we just looked like zombies, which was okay with us. Vancouver could be heard yelling from our balcony to anyone who was walking past, asking them if they 'wanted to get dead'. Most people wanted to get dead, and by the end of the night Vancouver had definitely spread the zombie love. The night was so much fun and included a choregraphed scary dance to 'Thriller', which was executed on the bar.

It was so much fun. However, we had booked a 9 am bus to Ecuador for the next morning (after horror night? What were we thinking?). I woke up, alone, in our room, missing my flip flops, zombie tank top, one hoop earring, my nose ring, and being completely confused. I was terrified I had over slept and looked frantically at my watch, only to find that the actual watch part of the bracelet was completely missing. Panic ensues, as I am sure I have missed the bus and J is currently en route to Ecuador (which I now realize would never actually happen..). I was running around like a maniac, throwing the last of my things into big mama. I eventually located J at breakfast and discovered that I was up in plenty of time. We caught the bus and made it safely into Ecuador.

Only problem is we now both have pink eye.

I completely blame it on Loki.

Totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment