Monday, May 2, 2011

The Dangers of Education

I am currently in the beautiful Peruvian city of Cusco. You know, the jump off point for a little place called Macchu Picchu. Heard of it?

While we are here we did the trek to Macchu Picchu (amazing) and are now starting our second week of Spanish school. We are both living with Peruvian families, which is really wonderful and definitely helps to make the experience more relevant. I'm not sure there is better practice than trying to understand a very excited 5 year old explain to you the joke she just told you in Spanish.

The school we are attending is very organized and interactive. On my last day last week we went on an outing to the central market with the whole class. Because we had spent a lot of time on 'imperativo' (commands...), we had to give each other ridiculous tasks, such as walk up the street with your eyes closed (a little bit dangerous, I thought...), touch your nose, or my personal fave, go ask that little boy if you can do his homework. Believe me, he would not have wanted me to!

During this exercise I was told to hop up the street on one foot, until I reached the guy in my class who was walking up the street blind, approximately 50 meters ahead of me. Because I wanted to do it fast I was frantically hopping one footed up the street, when my right ankle completely gave out. Which was only slightly embarassing. And painful. I'm a bit concerned I have aggravated an old soccer injury. However, it was not severe enough to prevent me from participating in the salsa class or dancing my face off until far too late in the night.

At least I have my priorities straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment