Thursday, May 5, 2011

It's the Little Things...

We are into month four of this six month adventure, and I really could not be happier. As I already mentioned, we are in week two of two of Spanish school here in Cusco, and living with Peruvian families, and the family I am living with has two adorable little kids. Cusco really is an extremely beautiful city, we are so high up, it looks like some of the mountains are actually touching the clouds. So amazing, so lucky.  However, the absolute BEST part about all of this is that while we are living with the families, I get my own room. Just me! No one else - not even J! Its the first time I have slept alone in a room in over four months. And, let me tell you, its like riding a bike. You don't forget how. I did not realize how much I enjoy spending time alone. I am certain I would not want to be alone for six months, but it is a nice break every once in awhile.

Last night while I was getting ready to go meet J, I was listening to my iPod, dancing around my room (you can't do that when you share a room with 14 other people). I was overcome with the strongest desire to BURST out singing, which I couldn't do, because the family was all snuggled up together, watching a movie on the other side of my door. I then realized that I haven't been able to really sing since I left Canada. Man. I miss that.

So, in honour of that desire, I decided to make a list of simple things that I so dearly miss. Ahem, so as to not offend anyone, I have not included any humanoids on the list. Here goes nothing.

1. My computer. If only because it has all my photos and my music and is completely accessible whenever I want. Plus, its a LOT easier to maneuver than my iPod.

2. Joe Fresh. Just because its so cheap and awesome. I will likely need to utilize that when I return home in June not able to fit into any of my summer clothes for work.

3. YOGA CLASSES!!!! At a real studio! With a real, live teacher! And other students! I haven't been practicing nearly as often as I would like to (because of space/people/laziness issues), but I am so extremely excited to return to practice. It makes me a very, very happy girl.

4. Kitchen, with real ingredients, and dishes and utensils. And no strangers getting in the way (because clearly I never do that). I miss my own cooking sometimes, and actually cooking. We had done a lot of cooking earlier, but not so much as of late.

5. Stanley. Well, not really Stanley, particularly because I am not a real fan of driving, but I do love driving for a long time for work with the window open and the music blasting (singing my little heart out!).

6. Being able to get ready in my underwear. Another thing you just can´t do in a dorm room. Actually, I suppose you can, but I´m not going to. I think I´ll wait for my own room to do that.

7. Feeling strong and healthy. These days I am only feeling soft and happy. Really happy, so I suppose I can handle feeling soft for six months of my life.

Not a very long list (again, not including all you humanoids...), which I suppose is a good thing, because really, if I wanted to complain, who would want to hear it? Certainly not the people in cold Canada (or perhaps not so cold Canada these days???) with real worries like jobs and bills real life stress.

It really is a wonderful life.

1 comment:

  1. Oh honey it is still cold ( and won't freaking stop raining!!) in Canada!!!! I miss your constant singing and spontaneous solo dance parties!!!!

    Think of you whenever I play my "sing it sista" CD!!

    So glad you are happy and having the time of your life - all the little things will be here waiting for your return ( including moi )

    Be safe!
    Love,
    Colie

    ReplyDelete