Monday, June 20, 2011

Signs it is time to get the hache out of dodge....

And by dodge, I mean South America. We have exactly seven days until we board that plane back to Canada, and though I am having the best experience of my life, I think it is good this time has come. For lots and lots of reasons. I will list them here (and likely forget many of the reasons...). Here we go.

1. Neither J nor I have a properly functioning headlamp. I broke my first one. Bought a second one, however, in my chaotic scramble to get ready to catch the bus to Ecuador after 'Fright night', (which you can read about under 'Love of theme parties? Confirmed.), I stupidly left it behind. Do you know how difficult (and loud) it is to fumble around a dorm room in complete darkness, using only an iPod or digital camera as a flashlight. Not good.

2. Total number of umbrellas we have? Zero. We had two, but J broke her's in Cali while trying to show me a trick (opps). I (again, stupidly) left my umbrella in Cali, as it had fallen onto the dude's bed below me. I checked my own bed for left over belongings, I did not think to check those of my dorm mates. You're welcome, Dorey.

3. I lost my bite plate. I (third time, stupidly...), left it in my sheets at the hostel in Quito, Ecuador. (Sorry, cleaning lady, that was likely gross...). Which is not only potentially an expensive mistake, but is extremely detrimental to the health of my teeth. Do not be surprised to see me back in Halifax a lot chubbier and with shorter teeth - I have a wee bit of a grinding problem. Luckily, there is essentially no stress in my life here.

4. J and I seem to have developed some strange way of communicating, almost like a pseudo language, except its not the words, its a very particular way of using your voice (which is not always fit for public consumption). We have attributed this to spending entirely toooo much time together the past six months. I fear what would happen to us after another six months. Pure insanity.

5. My bronzer is almost gone, and what I have left is a crumbly mess.

6. I am getting so tired of locking up my possessions and having to climb a ladder to get to
my bed.

7. My 'money rash' is getting out of control, which likely sounds strange (and kinda disgusting...) which makes sense, because it is strange and kinda disgusting. You see, in order to avoid having to carry a bag when going out (and to keep our money safe) we generally carry our money in our bras, in the side part, under your arm. The only problem is money is dirty and it's hot here, it is not really so good for skin I don't imagine. So, I am excited to be able to carry a real purse, with a proper wallet and everything! Though, admittedly I will miss waking up with money in my bed. Sometimes (actually, most times) when getting ready for bed I forget to take out the money and it falls off on it's own, resulting in waking up surrounded by pesos, which never fails to make me giggle.

So, thankfully (and sadly) we only have seven more days to wander around, hoping for no rain (especially because it is waaaay too humid for rain jackets, I fear I would suffocate), fumbling around in the dark by the light of my iPod, and subconsciously (in my sleep) try to ensure I am not grinding my pearly whites.

Get ready, Canada, get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment