Monday, June 20, 2011

Paradise: Found

Though I am currently in Cartagena, Colombia, last week we were in Santa Marta, Taganga, and then Parque Nacional Tayrona, Colombia, all of which are on the water. And thank goodness, because it is hot hot hot. Santa Marta and Taganga were good, but Parque Tayrona was the real highlight. When I say that I think it might be the closest thing to paradise I have ever seen, I mean it. To get to the beach and 'campsites' you are dropped off approximately four kms from the sites and have to walk for about 45 minutes through the jungle, onto the beach, back through the jungle, before arriving.

We stayed at a lovely place with beautiful white hammocks (which is where you sleep), right on a beach, with jungle and rolling green hills as the back drop. It was so peaceful there (at night there really was nothing to do besides go to the beach, lie in your hammock, or drink the wine we forgot in Taganga), and there were not so many tourists. On the walk to the beach that was swimmable (the beach we were on had extremely strong currents and had taken the lives of more than a couple tourists) there were times we were the only people on the beach. I always knew I loved swimming, but I have discovered the real difference between here and home is that here it is actually hot enough to want to get into water that is not bath temperature. It was so wonderful floating around and then laying on the beach until you get hot enough to go back in.

It was delightful, relaxing and rejuvenating. Paradise, even. So, if you like paradise (and who doesn't?), go to Colombia.

Because its awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are in my home country! I hope you are liking it. I'll be going to Colombia in about 3 weeks more or less, to visit my family for a few days.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Colombia! It is so beautiful, and the people were the friendliest of all the South American countries we went to! Have a nice trip back home!

    ReplyDelete