Sunday, February 20, 2011

Let the 'real' traveling begin.

This past week has taken us to Uruguay (Colonia and Montevideo), back to Buenos Aires, up to Iguazu Falls via a 20 hour bus ride (the falls are as beautiful as you would hope), then on a 38 hour bus ride to Mendoza, Argentina (wine country!).
We had a (traumatizing!) run in with bed bugs (if you've never seen them, trust me, you don't want to) in Montevideo, spent a few days on the beach, experienced Argentine immigration services (and I don't mean at the border), went back to our favorite pizza place in BA for one last Napolitana pizza (and attempt for one last chance encounter with the World's most beautiful waiter), we said good bye to friends, experienced the jungle humidity, and again, experienced the joy of getting off a bus after 38 hours. 
It was all an experience, but one of my most favourite things happened the day before we left our hostel in Buenos Aires for the last time. On my way back to the hostel after picking up my (clean! :) laundry, I ran into the woman who was our cleaning woman for the first four weeks of our stay. The same woman who taught me how to properly flush an Argentine toilet (which I will add, perhaps unnecessarily, is an important skill!). She had many kind words for me (most of which involved having a good time on the rest of our trip, being safe, but make sure that we think about her, and have a good time for her, because she will still be here, working. She stated that if we come back, to come and see her). All this was lovely, but the loveliest was
when she asked me to do her a favour, asking that if I ever get the chance to meet Alanis
Morissette that I tell her that she has a fan in Buenos Aires, Argentina. That would have been adorable enough, but she then began singing (in a beautiful voice), the lyrics to 'hand in my pocket'. It was all so unexpected, adorable, and at the same time, touching that I quickly assured her that of course I would do that for her, should I ever cross paths with Alanis.

This one's for you, Luisa.

I'm broke but I'm happy
I'm poor but I'm kind
I'm short but I'm healthy, yeah.
I'm high but I'm grounded
I'm sane but I'm overwhelmed
I'm lost but I'm hopeful baby
What it all comes down to
Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine.

Consider her told. 

No comments:

Post a Comment